[emms-help] Disappearing mode-line
Mike Kazantsev
2018-06-06 17:40:29 UTC
On Wed, 06 Jun 2018 17:47:46 +0200
Very often, the EMMS display in the mode line disappears after a while.
I suspect some conflicting mode but I haven't figured which one yet.
Has anyone else noticed that behaviour?
Only have emms-playing-time in mode-line, but noticed that since some
(rather old by now) version of emacs or emms it stopped updating in
inactive windows (as in emacs windows, not frames).
Probably as a resource-saving measure, and not really a bother.
Any tip on how to easily dig out the cause?
Maybe override/advice force-mode-line-update to check modeline and if
emms stuff isn't found in there, raise error, getting likely cause from
a backtrace?
Mike Kazantsev // fraggod.net
Pierre Neidhardt
2018-06-06 15:58:34 UTC
Run a separate stripped down Emacs instance with just Emms and see if it
happens. It would be useful to know if it is an external conflict versus
a bug in Emms per-se.
Problem is, it can take hours of interactive Emacs use.
And it's very annoying to use a stripped down version of Emacs for so
long :p

Yoni Rabkin
2018-06-06 16:04:27 UTC
Post by Pierre Neidhardt
Run a separate stripped down Emacs instance with just Emms and see if it
happens. It would be useful to know if it is an external conflict versus
a bug in Emms per-se.
Problem is, it can take hours of interactive Emacs use.
And it's very annoying to use a stripped down version of Emacs for so
long :p
I wouldn't dream of asking anyone to do that. I was suggesting running a
separate instance of Emacs with the experiment and leaving that one
alone while you keep on using a fully functional instance.
Pierre Neidhardt
2018-06-19 10:19:42 UTC
Some progress: EMMS's mode lin is stored in `global-mode-string'. When
set, its value is

("" emms-mode-line-string)

When it disappears, its value is

nil

I can restore the EMMS mode line with
`emms-mode-line-restore-mode-line'.

A grep on my ELPA folder shows that org-timer and org-clock touch
`global-mode-string'. I'll investigate in that direction.

--
Pierre Neidhardt